Josef M Felber falls for an Alekhine Defence trap only to come out smelling like a rose. Turns out it is a boomerang trap where Tim the Trapper gets caught! I reached into the rose bush and grabbed the thorns.
What began as a Scandinavian Defence quickly transposed to an Alekhine as our moves 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.Nc3 reach the same position as 1.e4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.exd5. Usually I play the Black pieces and continue 3...Nxd5 4.Bc4 Nb6. Josef Felber chose 4...e6. In unfamiliar territory as White I saw a way to win a pawn. Bad idea.
Valentin Bogdanov writes, "White can try to grab a pawn by 5.Bxd5?! exd5 6.Qe2+, but this is a highly dubious venture." The game below proves him right. Twenty years later, I know better. I do not think Felber meant to set a trap, but it worked like a charm.
Sawyer (2100) - Felber (2025), CM.1995.0.00005 IECG, 1995 begins 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.Nc3 Nxd5 4.Bc4!? e6 5.Bxd5 [Played with the idea of winning a pawn, but this is too risky. Better would be 5.Nf3= with a small lead in development.] 5...exd5 6.Qe2+?! [6.d4 is a French Defence Exchange Variation.] 6...Be6 7.Qb5+?! [7.d4] 7...Nc6 8.Qxb7 Nb4 9.Qb5+ Qd7 [A good idea is 9...c6! 10.Qa4 Bd7 (Bogdanov) 11.a3 c5 12.Nb5 Nxc2+ 13.Qxc2 Bxb5-/+] 10.Qxd7+ Kxd7 11.Kd1 d4 12.a3 Nc6 13.Ne4?! [White has 13.Nce2! d3 14.Nf4 dxc2+ 15.Kxc2 Bf5+ 16.d3 Nd4+ 17.Kc3 c5 18.Be3=] 13...d3 [More accurate would be 13...Bd5! 14.f3 d3-/+] 14.cxd3? [A fatal mistake. White may survive with 14.Nf3 Re8=/+] 14...Nd4! 15.Rb1 Bb3+ 16.Ke1 Bc2 17.Nc3 Re8+ 18.Kf1 Bxd3+ 19.Nge2 Nxe2 20.Nxe2 Rxe2 0-1
You may also like: King Pawn (1.e4 e5) and Queen Pawn (1.d4 d5)
Copyright 2015 Home Page / Author Page / firstname.lastname@example.org
- ► 2016 (329)
- Walter Browne vs Fischer Alekhine
- Huebsch Gambit Leningrad Cowboy
- Omega Gambit Alekhine Indian
- Fleischmann Teichmann Gambit
- What is Three Knights Game?
- Birds Opening Schlechter Gambit
- Ben Franklin and Andre Philidor Chess
- Andre Fleischmann Huebsch Gambit
- Boomerang Trap Alekhine Defence
- Philidor Counter Gambit vs Lawson
- Larsen's Opening to Bird's Opening Funk
- Petroff Defense Poisoned Pawn
- King's Gambit Falkbeer Counter Sacrifice
- How To Play Sicilian Defense 4...d5!?
- ▼ June (14)
- ► 2014 (78)
- ► 2013 (44)
- ► 2012 (79)