Is it better to sacrifice or grab a pawn? The King's Gambit player gambits a pawn to increase open lines and aim tactics at strategic weak points in his opponent's position. Black can fight back with the Falkbeer Counter Gambit. The sharp main line contains threats and counter threats. To win a game you need to gain some kind of advantage.
My guest opponent in 2002 met my King's Gambit with a Falkbeer when I played White on the Internet Chess Club. Black offers a pawn on move two and grabs a pawn on move 12. My subsequent attacks on his bishop gave me the advantage of his weak f5 pawn. Black picked up my d5 pawn on move 18 which costs him the Exchange almost immediately. The moral of the story is that a gambit sacrifice is fine early in the game as long as the time and space you gain allows you to end up with an advantage.
Sawyer (2000) - guest1103 (1500), ICC 2 12 u Internet Chess Club, 06.05.2002 begins 1.e4 e5 2.f4 d5 3.exd5 e4 4.d3 Nf6 5.dxe4 Nxe4 6.Nf3 Bc5 7.Qe2 Bf5 8.Nc3 Qe7 9.Be3 Bxe3 10.Qxe3 Nxc3 11.Qxe7+ Kxe7 12.bxc3 Bxc2 [12...Be4 13.Ng5] 13.Kd2 Bf5 [13...Bg6 14.Re1+ Kd6 15.Nd4] 14.Re1+ Kd7 15.Nd4 g6 16.Nxf5 gxf5 17.Bd3 Kd6 18.Bxf5 Kxd5 19.Be4+ Kd6 20.Bxb7 Nc6 21.Bxa8 Rxa8 22.Kc2 Ne7 [22...Na5 23.Re4+-] 23.Rd1+ Kc5 24.Rhe1 Black resigns 1-0
You may also like: King Pawn (1.e4 e5) and Queen Pawn (1.d4 d5)
Copyright 2017 Home Page / Author Page / email@example.com
Sign Up for free weekly Chess Training Repertoire updates
- ► 2016 (329)
- Walter Browne vs Fischer Alekhine
- Huebsch Gambit Leningrad Cowboy
- Omega Gambit Alekhine Indian
- Fleischmann Teichmann Gambit
- What is Three Knights Game?
- Birds Opening Schlechter Gambit
- Ben Franklin and Andre Philidor Chess
- Andre Fleischmann Huebsch Gambit
- Boomerang Trap Alekhine Defence
- Philidor Counter Gambit vs Lawson
- Larsen's Opening to Bird's Opening Funk
- Petroff Defense Poisoned Pawn
- King's Gambit Falkbeer Counter Sacrifice
- How To Play Sicilian Defense 4...d5!?
- ▼ June (14)
- ► 2014 (78)
- ► 2013 (44)
- ► 2012 (79)