The risky Omega Gambit sees White sacrifice the e4 pawn for open lines after 1.d4 Nf6 2.e4 Nxe4. This gambit can be successful, but it cannot be recommended. The risk does not match the reward. I faced this as Black 13 times in the Alekhine Defence after 1.e4 Nf6 2.d4 Nxe4 which reaches the same position. Usually 2.d4 was a blitz pre-move. Francesco Cavicchi wrote that he was "not particularly happy" with this gambit.
If White plays this on purpose, he is a fast player who wins on time or entices Black to blunder in blitz. In my database of 300 Omega Gambits, White's average rating is 2219 scoring 40% with a performance of 2172. My personal score as Black is +11 =1 -1.
guest - Sawyer (2000), ICC 0 1 u, Internet Chess Club, 1999.03.24 begins 1. e4 Nf6 2. d4 Nxe4 3. Bd3 [3. Nc3 Nxc3 4. bxc3 d5-/+] 3... Nf6 4. Nf3 d5 5.O-O Bg4 6. h3 Bxf3 7. Qxf3 c6 8. c4 Nbd7 9. Nc3 e6 10. Bg5 [10. c5 e5!=] 10... Be7 [10... dxc4=+] 11. Rfe1 dxc4 12. Bxc4 O-O 13. Rac1 Qa5 [13... Nb6!-/+] 14. Bb3? [14. Bd2 Qb6 =+] 14... Qxg5 [Unregistered player White disconnected and forfeits] 0-1
You may also like: King Pawn (1.e4 e5) and Queen Pawn (1.d4 d5)
Copyright 2015 Home Page / Author Page / email@example.com
- ► 2016 (329)
- Walter Browne vs Fischer Alekhine
- Huebsch Gambit Leningrad Cowboy
- Omega Gambit Alekhine Indian
- Fleischmann Teichmann Gambit
- What is Three Knights Game?
- Birds Opening Schlechter Gambit
- Ben Franklin and Andre Philidor Chess
- Andre Fleischmann Huebsch Gambit
- Boomerang Trap Alekhine Defence
- Philidor Counter Gambit vs Lawson
- Larsen's Opening to Bird's Opening Funk
- Petroff Defense Poisoned Pawn
- King's Gambit Falkbeer Counter Sacrifice
- How To Play Sicilian Defense 4...d5!?
- ▼ June (14)
- ► 2014 (78)
- ► 2013 (44)
- ► 2012 (79)