An advantage of the Petroff Defence as Black in a chess opening is Black develops his pieces quickly and his king is safe. The problem is developing an attack vs White. Author Or Cohen in A Vigorous Chess Opening Repertoire for Black refers to the old main line with 11.Qxd5 "as a 'poisoned pawn' because capturing it hands over the initiative."
In a 45 45 game vs BethO the position was equal for the first 15 moves after 3.d4 Nxe4. Then I got opportunities for a kingside attack. I missed the first couple shots including a forced mate in six. I kept the pressure on and found a checkmate on move 33.
I have played 15,000 rated games on the Internet Chess Club over the past 20 years plus thousands more unrated games. The ratios are as follows: Every 42 of my rated games, I play 39 games at blitz speed (3-5 minutes), 2 games at bullet speed (1-2 minutes) and 1 game at standard speed (15 minutes or slower).
BethO (1848) - Sawyer (2277), ICC 45 45 Internet Chess Club, 23.09.2008 begins 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.d4 Nxe4 4.Bd3 d5 5.Nxe5 Nd7 6.Nxd7 Bxd7 7.0-0 Bd6 8.c4 c6 9.cxd5 cxd5 10.Qh5 0-0 11.Qxd5 Bc6 12.Qf5 [12.Qh5 g6=] 12...g6 13.Qg4 [13.Qh3 Ng5=] 13...f5 [13...h5=+ Cohen] 14.Bc4+ Kh8 15.Qd1 Qh4 16.g3? [White should play 16.f4!=] 16...Qh3 [16...Nxf2! 17.Rxf2 Bxg3-+] 17.d5 Bd7 18.Qd4+ Nf6 19.Bg5 Kg7 20.Rc1 h6 [20...f4=] 21.Bf4 [21.Bxf6+ Rxf6 22.Nd2+/-] 21...Bxf4 22.Qxf4? [22.gxf4=] 22...Ng4 23.Qd4+ Kh7 24.Nc3 Rae8 [24...Qxh2+! 25.Kf1 Rfe8 26.Ne4 Rxe4 27.f4 Qh1+ 28.Qg1 Qf3+ 29.Qf2 Qxf2#] 25.Qxg4 Qxg4 26.Nb5 Bxb5 27.Bxb5 Rc8 28.f4 a6 29.Bf1 Qf3 30.Rxc8 Rxc8 31.Bg2 Qe3+ 32.Kf1 Rc2 33.Re1 Qf2# 0-1
You may also like: Caro-Kann (1.e4 c6) and Queen Pawn (1.d4 d5)
Copyright 2015 Home Page / Author Page / email@example.com
- ► 2016 (329)
- Walter Browne vs Fischer Alekhine
- Huebsch Gambit Leningrad Cowboy
- Omega Gambit Alekhine Indian
- Fleischmann Teichmann Gambit
- What is Three Knights Game?
- Birds Opening Schlechter Gambit
- Ben Franklin and Andre Philidor Chess
- Andre Fleischmann Huebsch Gambit
- Boomerang Trap Alekhine Defence
- Philidor Counter Gambit vs Lawson
- Larsen's Opening to Bird's Opening Funk
- Petroff Defense Poisoned Pawn
- King's Gambit Falkbeer Counter Sacrifice
- How To Play Sicilian Defense 4...d5!?
- ▼ June (14)
- ► 2014 (78)
- ► 2013 (44)
- ► 2012 (79)