The French Defence can be attacked with pawns or pieces. The Tarrasch Variation 3.Nd2 allows White more open piece play. In the 3...Nf6 4.e5 Nfd7 line Black seeks counter play with the moves 5...c5 and 9...f6 to open both bishop files.
Here I review games by Mihai Harabor. Our French Defence and Sicilian Defence were played when we were up and coming postal chess players in 1980. In my next post I look at the game we played 13 years later when we both much more experience.
This French Tarrasch saw us play a popular 3.Nd2 Nf6 line. White attacks the e-file and e6 in particular. Black hopes his piece activity compensates for this weakness. Black got too aggressive. His thematic ...e5 counter attack in the center did not work well on this occasion. White ends up with an extra bishop after some tactics.
My Chess Training Repertoire this Thursday covers the French Defence. Sign up if you want to receive it by email.
Sawyer (2000) - Harabor (2100), corr CCLA 1980 begins 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6 4.e5 Nfd7 5.Bd3 c5 6.c3 Nc6 7.Ne2 Qb6 8.Nf3 cxd4 9.cxd4 f6 10.exf6 Nxf6 11.0-0 Bd6 12.Nf4 0-0 13.Re1 Bd7 14.Be3 [14.Nxe6 Rfe8 15.Bf5=] 14...Qc7 [14...Rae8 15.g3=] 15.g3 e5? [15...Rac8 16.Ng5+/-] 16.dxe5 Nxe5 [16...Bxe5 17.Ng5+/-] 17.Nxe5 Bxe5 18.Rc1 Bc6 [18...Qd8 19.Nxd5+-] 19.Ne6 Qf7 20.Nxf8 Rxf8 21.Rc2 Qd7 22.Bc5 Re8 23.Rce2 Bd6 [23...Qc7 24.Bxa7+-] 24.Rxe8+ Nxe8 25.Rxe8+ Qxe8 26.Bxd6 Qe6 27.Bf4 d4 28.Qe2 1-0
You may also like: King Pawn (1.e4 e5) and Queen Pawn (1.d4 d5)
Copyright 2016 Home Page / Author Page / email@example.com
Sign Up for free weekly Chess Training Repertoire updates
- Daniel Benjamin and King's Indian
- Purple Dutch Defence vs O'Hearn
- Gene Simmons Move Your Chess Piece Forward
- Sozin Sicilian Bachler vs Fawbush
- Harabor Beats London System
- French Defence Tarrasch vs Harabor
- 9 Ways Ruy Lopez is Reliable
- Queens Gambit Accepted Attack
- Hit! Don't Hide vs King's Indian
- Sicilian Dragon Hidden Queen Trick
- Catalan Opening Rook Endgame Tool
- New Years Blackmar-Diemer Gambit
- 20 Favorite Chess Posts of 2015
- ▼ January (13)
- ► 2015 (66)
- ► 2014 (78)
- ► 2013 (44)
- ► 2012 (79)