Castle early, castle often. Sure thing. I’ll get right to it. Except that sometimes I delay it too long. I played the Caro-Kann to avoid wild tactics. That was foolish. Openings do not play the complicated tactics. Players do!
Anthony Tempske was a master at correspondence. His APCT rating was 2200. His ICCF rating is 2231. When a master chose the Exchange Variation, I should have known he planned to attack. That is what masters do.
The proper plan was to play a solid opening, develop quickly and castle safely. It started well. I decided to waste two moves to offer a queen swap. Instead of taking my queen, White lined up his queen on my king. We traded off a couple minor pieces, but I wasn’t any safer after 15 moves. Since I had not castled, he attacked e6 with 16.d5. There was no time to duck and cover. I missed my chances and picked off a couple queenside pawns. He moved in on my king.
I was ahead two pawns but hopelessly lost when he played his final move 24.Ne4. White threatened to win my king, my queen, both my rooks, my bishop and all my pawns. I could save any one of them temporarily, but eventually they would all fall. I resigned.
My Chess Training Repertoire this Thursday covers the Caro-Kann Defence. Sign up if you want to receive my weekly training repertoire by email.
Tempske (2200) - Sawyer (2003), corr APCT Q-139, 07.1993 begins 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.exd5 cxd5 4.Bd3 Nc6 5.c3 Nf6 6.Bf4 Bg4 7.Qb3 Na5 8.Qa4+ [8.Qc2 e6 9.Nd2 Bd6 10.Bxd6 Qxd6 11.Ngf3=] 8...Bd7 9.Qc2 Qb6 [9...Nh5 10.Be3=] 10.a4 [10.Nf3+/=] 10...Qb3 [10...Rc8=] 11.Qe2 [11.Nd2=] 11...e6 [11...a6 12.Ra3 Qb6 13.Nf3=] 12.Nf3 Rc8 [12...Nc4 13.Bc1+/=] 13.Ne5 Nc4 14.Bxc4 dxc4 15.Nxd7 [15.0-0+/=] 15...Nxd7 16.d5 Nc5 17.0-0 Nd3 18.Be3 Qxb2 [18...Bc5=] 19.Nd2 Qxc3 [19...Bc5 20.dxe6 0-0 21.exf7+ Rxf7 22.Qg4=] 20.dxe6 fxe6 21.Qh5+ g6 22.Qb5+ Kf7? [22...Kd8 23.Qxb7+/-] 23.Qd7+ Be7 24.Ne4 1-0
You may also like: King Pawn (1.e4 e5) and Queen Pawn (1.d4 d5)
Copyright 2016 Home Page / Author Page / email@example.com
Sign Up for free weekly Chess Training Repertoire updates
- Queen's Knight Advance 3.e5
- Running Uphill vs Roger Peeples
- Jack Clauser Wins BDG Zeller
- Hopping Happy French Knights
- Italian Four Knights by Hoskavich
- Gary Maks Plays Alekhine Chess
- Sheldrick Teaches Boden Mate
- Koepcke Invades King's Indian
- Birds Opening vs Dr. John Mussio
- Fawbush Crushes Caro-Kann
- Testing Trompowsky vs Travis
- Clothes Lined Bishop in Gruenfeld
- Two Knights Defence in China
- Queen's Knight Central Attack
- William Steinitz and Ruy Lopez
- Nimzo-Indian Bird Beats Victor
- King's Indian Quick Queenside
- Blackmar-Diemer vs GM Naroditsky
- French Rook Sac vs Ed Werner
- Nimzo-Indian Defense 5.e4 Counter
- Caro-Kann Queen Tempske Tactics
- Birds Opening Original Oranges
- Four Rook Sacrifices in Dragon
- Nimzo-Indian Delayed 4.e4!
- Greene Wins Blackmar-Diemer
- Quick Draw McGraw in French
- Anti-London System KID Nh5
- Caro-Kann Exchange with Bb5
- Nimzo-Indian Spassky 4.Bg5
- Marshall Gambit in French Defence
- Colle Systematic King’s Indian
- ▼ May (31)
- ► 2015 (66)
- ► 2014 (78)
- ► 2013 (44)
- ► 2012 (79)