In 1996 I entered several thematic Grob sections of APCT postal events. All the games in these tournaments were required to begin with 1.g4. Lyle Cherner was a very active postal player. According to my records, Cherner and I met in many APCT tournaments. Our first games were in 1981 by played postal chess. Some of our later games were played by e-mail, but probably not this event.
I won this Grob Attack as White against Lyle Cherner. I chose the gambit line 2.Bg2 Bxg4 3.c4 which Bloodgood played. In fact Claude Bloodgood played in another thematic Grob section. When Cherner resigned, we agreed to a draw in the other game we were most likely playing on the same postcards.
The year 1996 was near the end of my 20 years and 1000 games of active correspondence play. By 1997 I had moved most of my play to blitz on the Internet Chess Club. As of 2016, I was still playing on ICC.
Sawyer - Cherner (1621), corr APCT 96-Grob-4, 30.11.1996 begins 1.g4 d5 2.Bg2 Bxg4 3.c4 Nf6 4.cxd5 Nbd7 [4...c6 5.h3 Bf5 6.dxc6 Nxc6 7.d3 e5 8.Nc3 Rc8=/+] 5.Qb3 [5.Nc3 Nb6 6.d3=] 5...Nb6 [5...e5=/+] 6.Nc3 Rb8 [6...e5 7.dxe6 Bxe6 8.Qc2 c6=/+] 7.d3 h6 8.Bf4 g5 [8...a6 9.a4 e5 10.Bxe5+/=] 9.Bg3 [9.Be5+/-] 9...a6 10.e4 Bg7 11.Bf3 [11.h3+/=] 11...Bd7 12.Nge2 g4 13.Bg2 h5 14.Bf4 e6 [14...h4 15.0-0-0+/=] 15.dxe6 [15.Bg5 Bh6 16.Bxh6 Rxh6 17.dxe6 Bxe6 18.Qc2+/-] 15...Bxe6 16.Qc2 h4 17.0-0-0 h3 18.Bf1 Qe7 [18...Nh5 19.Be3+/=] 19.Ng3 Rd8 20.d4 0-0 [20...c6 21.Rg1+/-] 21.Bg5 Qb4 22.a3 Qb3 23.e5 Qxc2+ 24.Kxc2 Bc8? [24...Nfd5 25.Bxd8 Rxd8 26.Bd3+/-] 25.exf6 Bh8 26.Bd3 1-0
You may also like: King Pawn (1.e4 e5) and Queen Pawn (1.d4 d5)
Copyright 2016 Home Page / Author Page / email@example.com
Sign Up for free weekly Chess Training Repertoire updates
- Gruenfeld Defence vs Paul Ross
- Kevin Sheldrick BDG Giving
- Napoleon Queens Knight 1.Nc3
- French Defence Hyde 7.Be3 Qb6
- Scotch Steinitz Win by Karpatchev
- Blackmar-Diemer Black Friday
- Williams Plays Polish Opening
- King's Indian Defence Bayonet
- Sicilian Najdorf Grischuk 9.h4!?
- Blackmar-Diemer Theory New Book
- Michael Buss Wins 1.e4 Nc6
- Reti to Queen Pawn Scheerer
- English Opening vs Luis Paz
- Dowling Wins BDG Lemberger
- Nakamura Wins Nimzo-Indian
- Riazantsev Wins Caro-Kann
- Morozevich Anti-Bird 2...h5!?
- Diebert Wins Alapin Diemer Gambit
- Magnus Carlsen Wins 1...Nc6
- Lyle Cherner Plays Grob
- Van Geet vs Briem 1.Nc3
- Saeed Wins 2.Nc3 Bf5 3.e4 Bxe4
- Ekebjaerg in Grand Prix Sicilian
- French Defence Winawer 5.Nge2
- Guy Fawkes Day Sheldrick Win
- Henris Wins BDG Langeheinecke
- Andreikin Beats Kramnik 1.Nc3
- Larsen Opening to Pressure e5
- Nimzo, Queen, or Bogo Indian?
- BDG Teichmann 6.Bc4 vs Slipak
- ▼ November (30)
- ► 2015 (66)
- ► 2014 (78)
- ► 2013 (44)
- ► 2012 (79)