A quick glance through my 1.b4 games will show that I rarely played the main line against the Polish Opening. However there was a day, or even a few months, where I did. David G. Williams of Pennsylvania played the Sokolsky Opening against me. We both lived in the same state so this postal game progressed faster than games against others from far away.
I was the higher rated player, so I did not run from his opening. Instead I developed classically with my pieces in the center. This game began 1.b4 e5 2.Bb2 Bxb4 3.Bxe5 Nf6 4.Nc3 Nc6. Now White had to do something about his bishop on e5.
I remember three men named Dave Williams in Pennsylvania. It is a common name in chess circles. I do not remember for sure which one this opponent was. This Dave Williams played well until move eight. I redeployed my attackers to his weak points on the queenside. White fell to my tactical combinations. Things went from bad to worse until he resigned.
Williams - Sawyer, corr APCT N-340 1993 begins 1.b4 e5 2.Bb2 [2.a3 d5 3.Bb2 Bd6 4.Nf3 Nd7=] 2...Bxb4 3.Bxe5 [3.f4 d6 4.fxe5 dxe5 5.Bxe5 Nf6 6.Nf3 Nc6 7.Bc3 Bd6=/+] 3...Nf6 4.Nc3 [4.c4 0-0 5.Nf3 d5 6.e3 c5=] 4...Nc6 [4...Ba5 5.e3 d6 6.Bxf6 Qxf6=] 5.Bxf6 Qxf6 6.Nd5 Qe5 [6...Qd6 7.Nxb4 Qxb4 8.c3=] 7.Nxb4 [7.c4 Ba5 8.Nf3 Qd6 9.e3=] 7...Nxb4 8.Nf3 [8.Rb1 a5 9.a3 Nd5 10.e3=] 8...Nxc2+ [8...Qxa1 9.Qxa1 Nxc2+ 10.Kd1 Nxa1 11.Kc1 d5 12.Kb2 Bg4-+] 9.Qxc2 Qxa1+ 10.Qd1 Qxa2 [Or 10...Qxd1+ 11.Kxd1 b6-+] 11.e3 0-0 12.Bd3 Qd5 13.Qc2 h6 14.0-0 Qc6 15.Rc1 [15.Qb2 d5-+] 15...Qxc2 16.Rxc2 c6 17.h3 d6 18.Nd4 a5 19.Rc3 Bd7 20.Nc2 [20.Be4 a4-+] 20...b5 21.Be4 b4 22.Rb3 Ra7 23.d4 c5 24.Kf1 a4 25.Rb1 a3 26.Rb3 Ba4 0-1
You may also like: King Pawn (1.e4 e5) and Queen Pawn (1.d4 d5)
Copyright 2016 Home Page / Author Page / firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign Up for free weekly Chess Training Repertoire updates
- Gruenfeld Defence vs Paul Ross
- Kevin Sheldrick BDG Giving
- Napoleon Queens Knight 1.Nc3
- French Defence Hyde 7.Be3 Qb6
- Scotch Steinitz Win by Karpatchev
- Blackmar-Diemer Black Friday
- Williams Plays Polish Opening
- King's Indian Defence Bayonet
- Sicilian Najdorf Grischuk 9.h4!?
- Blackmar-Diemer Theory New Book
- Michael Buss Wins 1.e4 Nc6
- Reti to Queen Pawn Scheerer
- English Opening vs Luis Paz
- Dowling Wins BDG Lemberger
- Nakamura Wins Nimzo-Indian
- Riazantsev Wins Caro-Kann
- Morozevich Anti-Bird 2...h5!?
- Diebert Wins Alapin Diemer Gambit
- Magnus Carlsen Wins 1...Nc6
- Lyle Cherner Plays Grob
- Van Geet vs Briem 1.Nc3
- Saeed Wins 2.Nc3 Bf5 3.e4 Bxe4
- Ekebjaerg in Grand Prix Sicilian
- French Defence Winawer 5.Nge2
- Guy Fawkes Day Sheldrick Win
- Henris Wins BDG Langeheinecke
- Andreikin Beats Kramnik 1.Nc3
- Larsen Opening to Pressure e5
- Nimzo, Queen, or Bogo Indian?
- BDG Teichmann 6.Bc4 vs Slipak
- ▼ November (30)
- ► 2015 (66)
- ► 2014 (78)
- ► 2013 (44)
- ► 2012 (79)