Monday, May 22, 2017

Blackmar-Diemer Penullar Return

Peter McGerald Penullar sent me this Blackmar-Diemer Gambit which I include (edited) with his story notes. I appreciate Penullar. His games appear in my chess books.

"Hi Sir Tim,
"It’s been a while since I sent a BDG game to you. The pressure from Hospital work has been keeping me from joining many OTB tournaments, although chess.com accompany some of my lonely nights. Luckily for me, a chess tournament, The 1st Pasinggatan Chess Tournament on April 30, 2017, was held on my free day. The longing of touching chess pieces and the chance to meet fellow chess players in Taytay, Palawan where I have been working for 3 years, made me register my name without hesitation."

Thanks, Peter! My book Called notes that my mother was named after a missionary to the Philippines. That lady was captured by the Japanese during World War II.

[My Blackmar-Diemer Puzzles book is an introduction to our favorite gambit.]

Penullar - NN, Pasinggatan, Philippines (6), 30.04.2017 begins 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 c6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Nf6 6.Bd3 e6 7.0-0 Bd6 8.Qe1 0-0 9.Bg5 Nbd7 10.Qh4 h6? 11.Bxh6 gxh6 12.Qxh6 Re8 13.Ng5 [My opponent has been blitzing all his moves, but after I uncork my 13th move only then he realized he walked into a trap, although his 10th move has already sealed his fate. He began to used chunks of time thinking a way out.] 13...Bxh2+ [His last attempt to distract me.] 14.Kh1 [I know I am completely winning in this typical BDG Tabiya position, I already work out all the mating pattern in my head, but my opponent intentionally took an hour before making his move, we don't have chess clocks in this tournament by the way, and somehow his antics got into my nerve.] 14...Re7 15.Rxf6 Nxf6 [I was still fuming inside, I wanted to beat him badly for taking so much time and not resigning immediately in a lost position. I impatiently and immediately executed my next move.] 16.Qxf6 Rd7 [After seeing this move from my opponent, only then I realized I jumbled my mating pattern sequence. It should have been 16. Bh7+! and mate in 2. Lesson learned, Never let bad emotion get into your way when playing.] 17.Qh6 Bf4 18.Bh7+ Kh8 19.Bg6+ Kg8 20.Qh7+ Kf8 21.Nxf7 Qf6 [Here, I was already losing hope and was about to resign, I half-heartedly made my next move.] 22.Rf1 [I decided that if my opponent takes my d-pawn with his rook, I'll just resign and stop my agony thinking I botched a won game, instead my opponent decided to simplify the position.] 22...Rxf7 23.Bxf7 Qxf7 24.Qxf7+ Kxf7 25.Rxf4+ [Suddenly I'm a pawn up, with active pieces!! Here, I decided to fully concentrate again, managed to swap my rook and passed g-pawn against his rook and 4 pawns, got my chance to inflict torture against my opponent in a long king, knight and 3 connected pawns vs a king and bishop ending, and finally got a win after 70 plus moves. My tournament is therefore complete!! Long Live BDG!!!] 1-0 [Notes by Penullar]


You may also like: King Pawn (1.e4 e5) and Queen Pawn (1.d4 d5)
Copyright 2017 Home Page / Author Page / sawyerte@yahoo.com
Sign Up for free weekly Chess Training Repertoire updates

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now in Kindle and paperback

Blog Archive