Thursday, May 10, 2012

Brian Wall's Fishing Pole Ruy Lopez

Brian Wall of Colorado is famous for many variations with creative names. One of Brian Wall's most well-known openings is the Fishing Pole in the Ruy Lopez. The Fishing Pole includes the idea of Nf6-g4 as Black, and if attacked by h2-h3, then h7-h5. This includes a trap as presented below. There I try a Fishing Pole in the style of Brian Wall.

There is more to the variation than just the trap. Taking the knight is very risky.
Here are the most common continuations:
A. 6.d4 exd4 7.Nxd4 Bc5
B. 6.c3 a6 7.Ba4 Bc5
C. 6.d3 Bc5 7.c3 a6

I am not saying the variation is super strong or even completely sound. But it is tricky. Here I win a short and sweet blitz game vs the computer program "mscp".

mscp-Sawyer, ICC 5 0 Internet Chess Club, 29.10.2011 begins 1.Nf3 Nc6 2.e4 e5 Transposing to the Open Game. 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.0-0 Ng4 This looks like the bait. 5.h3 h5 This is the pole. 6.Bxc6 dxc6 7.hxg4 hxg4
8.Nxe5 Taking the bait. 8...Qh4 White cannot avoid checkmate. 9.f3 g3 10.d4 Qh1# White is checkmated 0-1



email: sawyerte@yahoo.com
Copyright 2011-2024

5 comments:

  1. Brian, you have kept FUN in chess. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. History this chess trap is on two films YOUTUBE "The Fishing Pole Show" (pt1) and (pt2). I played this open early in corespondence tournaments ICCF and IECG. My games there are on Corr Database CHESSBASE since 2004 and +n. For example:
    http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1114585855
    More please look on my blog: www.krolaszachykor.blogspot.com
    Greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank and nice meet you, too!
      Excuse me for my English a little and look on my new blog:
      www.krolchesscorr.blogspot.com
      FACEBOOK, too!

      Delete
    2. Your is English is good. It is better than my Polish! One of my best friends is from Poland (not a chess player) who now lives in the USA.

      Delete

Blog Archive