Ronald L Chaney and I contested games in many openings, beating each other several times. Here he begins 1.f4. This Bird's Opening started out slowly in the center with 3.e3 and 9.d3. White expanded on the queenside with 7.c4, 10.d4 and 11.b4. His 13.Ba3 turned out to be a powerful piece.
White kept the position dynamic with lots of tension between pawns and pieces. Chaney was able to pick off a pawn with 18.Bxe6! If Black recaptured, he would get mated quickly. I tried to wiggle out of it. The more I squirmed, the stronger his forces became.
Lines and lanes opened up. White had a bishop and queen on active squares. His doubled rooks on the f-file were too strong. Ron Chaney's army could not be stopped.
My Chess Training Repertoire this Thursday covers the Birds Opening. Sign up if you want to receive my weekly training repertoire by email.
Chaney (1970) - Sawyer (1960), corr APCT, 1995 begins 1.f4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e3 g6 4.Be2 Bg7 5.0-0 0-0 6.Ne5 Nbd7 7.c4 c6 8.Nc3 e6 9.d3 Qc7 10.d4 b6 11.b4 a5 12.b5 c5 13.Ba3 Rd8 14.Qb3 [14.Nc6=] 14...cxd4 15.exd4 Bb7 16.Rac1 dxc4 17.Bxc4 Rac8 [17...Nxe5 18.fxe5 Rxd4 19.exf6 Bh6=] 18.Bxe6! Nxe5 19.fxe5 fxe6 20.Qxe6+ [20.exf6!+-] 20...Qf7 21.Qxb6 Bh6 22.Rxf6 Be3+ [22...Qc4 23.Rc2+/=] 23.Kh1 Qc4 [23...Bxd4 24.Qxd8+ Rxd8 25.Rxf7 Kxf7 26.Rd1+/-] 24.Rcf1 [24.Be7!+-] 24...Bxg2+ 25.Kxg2 Bxd4 26.Rxg6+ hxg6 27.Qxg6+ Kh8 28.Rf5 Rg8 29.Rh5# 1-0
Click here for my Bird & Dutch book
Copyright 2016 Author Tim Sawyer / firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign Up for free weekly Chess Training Repertoire updates
- Dynamic Army in Bird's Opening
- Podymov King's Indian Defence
- Blackmar-Diemer Before Kampars
- Sicilian Defence & Polugaevsky
- French Defence 3.Be3 by Alapin
- Risky Caro-Kann vs Ralph Pirtle
- Mellado Trivino Meets BDG Elbert
- Pseudo Trompowsky vs BDG
- Fred Botti Plays Pirc Defense
- Gruenfeld Defence: Is Ba3 Good?
- Top 70 Sawyer Chess Post 2000
- Sicilian Defence Rauzer e7 Pawn
- French Tarrasch Closed 8.Nf3 Be7
- Caro-Kann Black King Caught
- Luc Henris Plays BDG O'Kelly
- Queens Gambit Declined Latimer
- Alekhine to Have and Hold e5
- Panno Protest & Kings Indian
- Dr. Steinbacher in BDG Declined
- Benoni Defence to Sicilian Dragon
- Caro-Kann Classical vs Chaney
- French Defence Chandler 3.Be3
- Vandenbrouke vs BDG Lemberger
- Ruy Lopez Arkhangelsk 5...b5
- Pirc Byrne Attack 4.Bg5 vs Dunn
- Gruenfeld Win vs Russian Smyslov
- Hofmann Wins BDG Teichmann
- French Defence vs DLP Ballard
- ▼ September (28)
- ► 2015 (287)
- ► 2014 (365)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (580)